Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Reap What You Sow (or Knit)

Last week was my 22nd birthday. So many blessings came out of last week. I received the Hawk of the Year Award, was voted Greek god, and my fraternity won Greek Week. We got to celebrate at Winstead's afterwards. I got a couple of very special gifts from Colleen - a new "Justin Boots" hat, and a bottle for memories between the two of us over the past year and a half. This was undoubtedly the most cherished gift. Bottled memories that I will never forget.

I would like to share, however, about a gift that I received from Carolyn, from Sudexo. Flashback to first semester. Her brother had a stroke and so I told her that I would be praying for him and for her family. We spoke a few more times throughout the semester and she would update me on how he was doing. Carolyn, out of the great kindness of her heart, gave of her time and talent to give me a very special birthday gift. She knitted an entire blanket for me. I was extremely moved that she had spent so much time putting it together for me. She was so excited - she was telling me about it weeks before my birthday saying that she was making something for me. Now, not to say that I was ever expecting anything out of showing kindness to Carolyn to begin with - she was going through a struggle and I was happy to be there to comfort her whenever she needed - but this is a great lesson for me in how kindness pays off so greatly in the end. We reap what we sow sort of deal. I think that bad things still happen to good people, of this there is no doubt, but I also think that if we make the extra effort to help others in their times of need, someone WILL be there for us when we need it.

Carolyn, thank you so much for the blanket and your friendship. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment