Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Message to Women

The other night, with the help of some good friends, we put on an event for the women of Rockhurst. The men who put this night together want to take a stand against the way that women are mistreated in our world. The turnout was good, about 15-20 girls who shared their insight on the issue. After some discussion, we then showed a video that a few of us put together. The video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjKRmonPdU. Six other men who also wanted to address the issue were willing to stand up at the front of the room with a promise:
"I am a man. I promise to respect and uphold the dignity of women. I promise to view women as people rather than objects. I will enter into respectful relationships with the women in my life, striving always to have their best interest at heart. Furthermore, I promise to be selfless in my relationships, seeking out opportunities to serve women and not my own selfish interests.
I will not allow women to believe the lies held by society. I will not allow women to disrespect themselves through language, dress, or action. I will not stand by quietly while other men disrespect women.
I will not let this promise stop with me. Through my words and actions, I will seek to inspire others to share in this promise, and to create a world in which women receive the proper dignity that they inherently deserve."

We then passed out these Dove chocolates while the song, "You're Amazing" by Bruno Mars played.
The beginnings were small, but my hope and prayer is that the conversation from that night carries into the lives of those present and they can share that with more and more people. Wildfires don't start out as wildfires. They start small and spread, putting flame to everything they touch. That is what I would love to see this turn into. The event was the smouldering sticks and leaves...
Ah, and here are four reasons why this message is so important to me:










No comments:

Post a Comment