Monday, February 16, 2015

In the Spirit of Christmas

(December 25, 2012)
Yesterday, after a dry advent not really feeling the spirit of the Christmas season, I finally broke into it [on Christmas Eve]. I decided to take a penance from confession to a higher level. Combined with encouragement from KLOVE to "be somebody's angel," I reached out to a man who, if not for his dog, Mennis, would be spending Christmas alone.

I met Brian a week ago today at the exit off of Highway 36 to get onto 287 (near my hometown). He was standing there with a cardboard sign asking for help. My mom grabbed a $5 bill. I talked with him briefly until the light turned green. Then we were off and it would have been safe to assume I would never see him again. The following weekend is when I went to confession, and when the priest told me to reach out to someone in a kind act, I immediately knew who would be the beneficiary.

On Christmas Eve, I made an emergency errand before going to Grammy's to celebrate with family. I bought Brian a Christmas present. I gave him a Bible, a rosary that I had made along with a booklet to teach him how to pray it. Along with the longer lasting gifts, I made sure to provide for his temporal needs in the small way that I could, buying a sandwich, chips, and a Gatorade. This goes without saying, but he was very grateful. He told Mennis to speak (I couldn't make out if he was saying, "Thank you" or "Merry Christmas" - maybe both). He continued to bark as the light turned green and I left once again.

This small act is the spirit of Christmas. And as we are called to give, expecting nothing in return, I think it would be safe to assume this time that our paths may never cross again in this life. I pray for the best of fortunes to come to Brian and his best friend, especially during the Christmas season.
Jesus is real. There is nothing and nobody else that could have compelled me to do what I did for Brian. I gave. Materially, there is not much that Brian could give back; therefore, I clearly expect nothing in return. Society is selfish. Our culture is all about what we can do to get ahead in the world - no matter who we have to trounce on the way to "success." Jesus Christ brings a message absolutely to the contrary. "What you do for the least of these, you do for me."

A couple of months ago, I posted a note about a God-given gift to inspire others. In sharing this story, I hope to mobilize some of the people in my life to perform more acts of charity. It is through these acts - not necessarily always in this context - that this world will be TRANSFORMED. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam. For the greater glory of God.

All the best to you and your families. Have a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment